New Teacher Spotlight: Mr. Perez, band director

By Shanice Cruz, Staff Reporter

Mr. Federico Perez Trasante is a middle school and high school music teacher at Passaic Preparatory Academy. He has been teaching public school for two years and he had been a private school teacher for more than 10 years. He is not married and has no kids, but he used to have dogs. Music is his passion and life, but his other interests are carpentry, cars and video games. His favorite thing to do on the weekends is sleep in, but he usually has music gigs on the weekends. He plays trombone, bass trombone, euphonium/baritone, and tuba. Occasionally he also plays the guitar, drums, bass guitar, trumpet and flute 

Q: What inspired you to get into music? 

A: My obsession with music started when I was 5 years old. I don’t really know if anything inspired me, I always played music since I can remember, but what pushed me to want to be a PROFESSIONAL musician is when I realized that money is not important. You can make a lot of money and be miserable. Fulfilling your passions and doing what makes you feel alive is far more important.

Q: What is one thing you like about teaching at prep? 

A: I really like the community at Prep. The staff and students are really great! Prep is a real family environment!

Q: What is another career path you would have chosen? 

A: Well, I’ve already had over 40 careers in my life, so I think I finally found what I love to do!

Q: What do you want the students to learn from this class?

A: In regards to the legacy of popular music class, I really would love for students to discover and realize that all music is related, valid and important. I would love to introduce students to discover new music to connect with.

Q: How has playing music impacted you?

A: Music saved my life more times than I can count. Playing music for me is like giving back. If my performance can make someone forget their problems even for a minute, then I did a good job.

Q: What has been your biggest challenge so far in life?

A: EdTPA (a teacher assessment) and student-teaching during COVID. Way too much stress. 

Q: How would your friends describe you?

A: Friendly and outgoing. I’m sometimes referred to as “The Mayor” because anywhere I go, I always run into somebody I know.

Q: What is your favorite genre of music and why? 

A: Rock, it’s awesome energy and always makes me feel good!

Q: What is one thing that you want people to know about you? 

A: That I want all my students to succeed and excel in life.

Even though Mr. Perez is a new teacher here at Prep, he likes the community and the family environment. He’s had over 40 careers and he has decided that teaching music is the one that he enjoys the most. He is very passionate about music and says it has saved his life. He wants students to learn that all music is related and important and to help them discover new music. He hopes all his students will succeed in life.