Student Council elections to be held in June

June elections will allow fast action in September

Student+voting

Bryan Perez

Prep students vote in Student Council elections, 2019-20

Americans across the country practice the right to vote every year. Passaic Preparatory Academy students will have the same opportunity — in June this year.  

Unlike previous years, Student Council elections for school President, Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer will take place in June to elect officers for the fall. Elections took place in October for this school year. 

This decision was taken after realizing how long the election process takes, according to Mr. Figueroa, who heads the Student Council at Prep. The Student Council will start next school year on the first day of school instead of at the end of October. 

Eighth-graders, who will be high school students next year, cannot run for a position but may join Student Council. Seniors will vote this year, according to Mr. Figueroa, but eighth-graders will not, as some might not return to Prep next year.

Student Council projects help both the Prep family and the Passaic community. They include fundraising, park and street clean-ups, awareness events, and community events. The positions of President, Vice President, and Secretary/Treasurer take a major role in the Council’s functioning. 

Due to remote learning, this year’s elections will present unique challenges. Candidates will not be able to present their case to the student body in person, even though the election affects every student. The student body won’t be able to make it to the polling site in the auditorium, so elections will be held via Google Form. 

At Prep, you don’t have to be voted in by students to be a part of the Student Council. Anyone can join the club and run for a position. Any high school student wanting to run for President, Vice President, or Secretary/Treasurer should send an email with their intent to Mr. Figueroa ([email protected]) or Mr. Weaver ([email protected]) by Monday, May 17 at noon.