Meet the Candidates: Student Council President, 2023-24

Two students hope to be your Student Council President next school year, 2023-24. Voting will be conducted through a Google Form that will be provided to you during history class on Tuesday, June 20, and June 21 for those of you who miss school on the 20th. The Form will only allow you to vote once, and only high school students, including seniors, are eligible to vote. Send questions to Mr. Weaver at [email protected].

Both candidates made a short video and were asked two questions by the Journalism Club. Below are their videos and answers to the questions, unedited, and listed in alphabetical order:

NELSIE ABREU

What do you hope to accomplish as a Student Council leader next year?

As a Student Council leader next year, I hope to accomplish the goal of increasing our school spirit. School spirit is vital as it is an identity and shared community within a school. This can lead to successful school events where students are able to join and be unified together! However, without school spirit, many student led events are not able to be accomplished to the best of their ability as not many students will enjoy their time.

What is the No. 1 issue facing Prep, and how will you address it if you win?

The No. 1 issue facing Prep in my opinion is the lack of school spirit in our school. As mentioned earlier, school spirit is a vital part in creating an active and enjoyable school year. I will address the school spirit issue by creating surveys for the students to find what they do not about the school. This will give me, the Executive Board, & the whole Student Council the data that we need to move forward with modifying different events & possibly creating new ones. For instance, if you do not like the colors that we use to represent your class, let us know in the survey’s! This gives us the opportunity to understand what you like / do not like about the school & helps us create changes where your voices & opinions are heard!

GABRIELA MARTINEZ

If given the opportunity to be Student Council President I hope to accomplish all your dislikes into likes within the school year. This includes the uniform policy and interpret the color black to officially be apart of our uniforms. I also guarantee that we WILL have a high school field day ! I hope to fulfill the satisfactions of those who are unheard of and I am willing to fight for you! As your Student Council President, I hope with the pushing for certain policies to be updated, I can ensure that the students academic, mental and physical well beings of our students are met. I promise you won’t regret your decision, I will make you all satisfied!

Well as a Junior here at Passaic Prep, many of the High Schoolers are confused on why we didn’t have a field day. I promise to adress all the advisors of field day to allow the Upper class men to have a field day ! I will try my hardest for you here at prep ! Another issue I notice , is either the lunch here at prep and the uniform issue. The lunch here at prep tends to have many concerns , and I will take all your input and ideas up to our meetings and do my best to change it. Now for the uniform issue , many students here at prep want spirit weeks and the color black to be our uniform, with me as your president, spirit weeks will be encouraged into the school year and the color black will be into our uniform policy for the school year ! You can always come to me with your ideas and concerns and I promise to listen !