Passaic Prep: Home of the Ravens!

After a two-year process, the Prep finally has a mascot

It took more than two years, but Passaic Preparatory Academy finally has a mascot: the Passaic Prep Ravens.

According to Prep Principal Dr. Marx, district administrators approved the mascot on April 14, 2021, ending a surprisingly long process that started in 2018-19, Prep’s first year as a school.

Pullquote Photo

The Ravens will become the symbol of unity and strength during challenging times for our students. The Raven is the proof of what students can do if we unite. The Raven shows unity and strength. It shows together we are unstoppable.

— Prep junior Amy Zarebczan

In 2019, Prep students voted to be the Prep Pioneers. But the administration reportedly did not like the choice, citing its controversial nature that had caused other schools to protest the mascot. That led to other suggestions, none of which were approved by administrators over the last two years.

Other mascots under consideration reportedly included the Purple Storm. 

Dr. Marx said the Raven is a fitting symbol for the Prep. 

“We took the selecting of our mascot very seriously because the Raven will become a symbol that will represent our school for years to come,” he said. “My hope is that the Raven will be a symbol of who we are today and who we will be years from now. Eventually, as we walk the halls, the Raven will be a symbol for the knowledge that we will acquire as students at Passaic Prep.”

Ravens, as a species of bird, have taken to living on the Passaic River in recent years.

Prep junior Amy Zarebczan was Student Council President from 2019-20 and took a lead role when Prep first undertook the quest to name a mascot in 2018-19.

“It feels great that the fight I led alongside our Student Council and the student body has come to an end and achieved its goal!” Amy told The Boulevard Online. “The Ravens will become the symbol of unity and strength during challenging times for our students. The Raven is the proof of what students can do if we unite. The Raven shows unity and strength. It shows together we are unstoppable.” 

Question? Comment? Reach out to The Boulevard Online advisor Mr. Schmerler at [email protected].