NYC Pride March Cancelled for First Time

Prep students miss opportunity to attend Pride March

By Michelle Carpinteyro, Staff Reporter

For the first time in its 50-year history, the New York City Pride March has been cancelled. 

Millions of people from around the world annually come to NYC to celebrate and show their support for the LGBTQ+ community. The march had been scheduled for June 28.

On April 20, the Mayor of New York City, Bill de Blasio, cancelled the annual march to protect the health of all participants. This was due to the outbreak of Covid-19, the worldwide coronavirus pandemic. 

“It got canceled for everyone’s safety,” said Yakhaira Aguilar, a junior at Passaic Preparatory Academy.

I was looking forward to going, I love the energy that pride brings.

— Prep senior Gila Gershman

Like Yakhaira, many people said they understand the reasoning behind the cancelation. However, individuals who were planning on attending this year’s march couldn’t help but feel saddened by the news. Many had been excited to participate in the 2020 Pride March, as this year marks the 50th anniversary of the celebration, which began in 1970. 

Last year’s march, commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots when members of the gay community held violent protests against police raids, drew almost 5 million people to NYC. 

“I was looking forward to going, I love the energy that pride brings,” said Prep senior Gila Gershman. “It’s an experience that many people need to see.”

Although the march was cancelled, de Blasio still gave hope by saying the event could possibly happen later in the year.