Standardized Testing Cancellation Could Affect Graduation Requirements

NJSLA testing cancelled due to school closures

New Jersey Student Learning Assessment (NJSLA) standardized testing for this school year has been cancelled due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic impacting the state. 

Pullquote Photo

They (the NJDOE) have not made a decision on whether or not alternative plans will be in place.

— Ms. Lauricella, Prep asst. principal

The U.S. Department of Education granted a waiver to the New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE), cancelling Passaic Preparatory Academy’s NJSLA testing window of April 20-May 1. This waiver comes as a result of Governor Phil Murphy closing schools statewide to slow the spread of COVID-19.

“Prep students will not take any form of the NJSLA test in Math, ELA, Science for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year,” said Ms. Lauricella, an assistant principal at Prep. “As per the NJDOE’s website, testing will be made available to high school students interested in testing in the summer or fall.”

NJSLA testing is a requirement and students can use it as a graduation requirement. However, there are other options if students do not pass the NJSLA. Sophomores and juniors can meet their graduation requirement through alternative testing such as the SATs or the portfolio appeals process if they have not yet met standardized testing requirements. 

“At this point, the NJDOE is asking districts to provide feedback regarding how many seniors are still in need of the Senior Portfolio Appeals Process,” Ms. Lauricella said. “They have not made a decision on whether or not alternative plans will be in place. We are waiting for further communication.”

Expect updates in the near future here in The Boulevard. For more updates from the NJDOE, visit the New Jersey Department of Education.