Courtesy of Melissa Reyes

Melissa Reyes, Dartmouth College

Where are you now?

I am a rising junior at Dartmouth College majoring in Latin American, Latino, & Caribbean Studies with a minor in Geography. I am also a Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellow and a James O. Freedman Presidential Scholar. I currently serve as an intern for the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History and a leader fellow for More Than Bootstraps, a non-profit helping first-generation low-income high school students with the college application process.

How has life changed for you since graduation?

I’ve grown so much in college, especially when it comes to navigating predominately white spaces and “putting myself out there.”

Any advice for the Class of 2023 and other underclassmen?

As my friends and I say to each other, “Speak your truth.” Remember that your voice matters! Your personal experiences and knowledge are incredibly valuable, even if you think they aren’t. Don’t be afraid to share your thoughts and contribute to the conversation. Coming to Dartmouth, I struggled heavily with imposter syndrome. From mentors, friends, and eventually myself, I’ve learned that I deserve, like everyone else, to take up space. Take advantage of the resources present at Prep.

Personal Quote:

Your mistakes do not define you.

Anything else?

Feel free to reach out to me for any support or advice regarding the college application process, higher education, and more! I also want to encourage students to check out the latest issue of History Now, an online journal of the Gilder Lehrman Institute. I served as contributing editor to the latest issue called “Hispanic Heroes in American History,” highlighting a few key Hispanic figures such as Jovita Idár and Antonia Pantoja. It’s crucial for all of us to see ourselves and our communities mirrored in the stories we learn and share.

The Boulevard Online • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in